Sunday 1 March 2020

My Frugal Tasks 1/3/20

This week was the first week of starting university. I am studying full time for my Bachelor of Psychology and Counselling, which will take 3 years to complete. I never thought this would be possible for me and I'm excited and nervous about the prospect. 
I am doing my degree through Edith Cowan University which offer online study as campus is quite a distance from where I live, so this is the option I took and I only go in to sit my exams twice a year. I completed my certificates in an online format so I kind of know what to expect and how to be disciplined with a study schedule. Plus I don't have to spend time and money travelling and have more time and energy to reach my frugal goals. This week I also installed a free app called Olio which is for food sharing and helps prevent food waste which is something I'm very passionate about! The way it works is you list an unwanted item and someone in your area can message you if they would like to pick it up. I got some cold tea infusion tea bags from a fellow Olio'er and I gave away a box of T2 flavoured tea. Normally I give things I don't want to friends or neighbours but occasionally I have something obscure I know they wouldn't use so from now on I'll list it on Olio. Plus its a great way to meet like-minded frugal peeps in your community! This week I managed quite a few frugal tasks:


-Picked up some Twinnings rose lemonade flavoured tea bags from Olio.
-Went to Kmart to buy a diary for uni which they didn't have so instead bought a calendar style planner and new highlighters for $5. I also found some clearance items. A unicorn ornament for 70c, 3 pack of rainbow foil balloons 70c and contact for 50c. I'll put these in our party box.
-On Wednesday night while cooking dinner, I also made a spinach and chorizo fritatta as I needed to use up some not so fresh spinach. We had this for dinner on Thursday night and I also made a banana and choc chip slice from some over ripe bananas. 
-Bought a second hand psychology textbook from Gumtree for $60. This was a bargain because it sells new for $130.
-I cleaned out the fridge and used up some grape tomatoes, capsicum red wine and mushrooms by making a pasta sauce. I cut the tomatoes and capsicum and baked in the oven with a drizzle of oil first and I think doing this really contributed to the sweet taste of the sauce.
-Got some free bread from our community centre.
-I also had some bread rolls which I cut and made into garlic bread. Mr 13 declared the pasta, homemade sauce and garlic bread "the best dinner ever!"
-Hubby cut up some kiwi fruits and bananas and put then in the food dehydrator.
-We packed sandwiches, coffee, water and snacks and went for a walk along the dam. 
Hope this week was a good one for you. 

4 comments:

  1. I hope you really enjoy your study, Mel. It's wonderful that you can study online and limit the time you have to spend travelling in to campus. Olio sounds like a great way to minimise food waste in a community. I'd not heard of it before but think it's a wonderful idea.
    Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg,
      Thank you! I can't even imagine how much time I would have to dedicate if I had to travel to campus. Especially as sometimes the lectures can be hard to keep up with when writing notes. At home I can just pause the lecture and write down what I need. Definitely check out Olio if you are interested. xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Mel,
    I'm really enjoying your posts again, they keep me inspired with my own frugal journey. Good luck with your study.
    Ree

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ree,
    Thank you so much. I'm glad you like my posts, I also love reading others blogs to help keep me motivated. xx

    ReplyDelete