Thursday 3 March 2016

Vegetarian Mexican Style "Mince" Recipe




 This is my own recipe for a vegetarian style "mince." I came up with it one night when my pantry was low. I think it is really delicious and to me it tastes better than a sauce with meat!

1 diced onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 tin of diced tomatoes and 1 TBS tomato paste (I used homemade passata)
2 diced capsicum- I used frozen red and green
1 tin of baked beans
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
sprinkle of pepper

Heat a frying pan with a splash of oil and add the onion and garlic. Turn the heat down to low and cook until the onion is almost cooked.

Add the cumin, salt and pepper and stir well. Turn up the heat slightly for a few minutes until the spices give off an aromatic smell and then turn the heat down to low again.

Add the diced capsicum, passata or tomatoes and puree. Stir to combine and simmer until all the vegies are cooked.

Pour the tin of baked beans into a large bowl and mash with a potato masher, then add this to the pan of tomatoes.

Stir all the mixture through over a low heat until it thickens up. I use this in quesadillas, as a nacho topping or over baked potatoes. Yummy!


To make quesadillas you just need some flat bread, cheese and this mexican dish.





First place the flat bread on a sandwich press. Spread some of the vegie mixture over the top-be careful not to add too much or it will ooze out of the sides. Top with cheese and then place another piece of flat bread on the top. And toast until the bread is golden brown.

Cut into wedges and serve with a salad or guacamole.





2 comments:

  1. Wow Mel you have created a lovely meal here, and wonderfully frugal too. I am saving this recipe because I have a son that loves Mexican food, and this one sounds pretty easy :)

    I came for a visit from Annabel's blog. At the moment I am having a blogging hiatus, hopefully I can get back to posting regularly soon. Life is pretty busy for me right now. I have enjoyed viewing all the things you ladies are creating for gifts, and getting some ideas for when I have more time over the colder months.

    Take care,
    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, thank you for stopping by. It is a really tasty meal and super cheap! I just love Annabel's blog and am really happy to be part of the Christmas Challenge x

      Delete