Sunday 9 August 2020

Savings Sunday 7/8/20

This week has been good. I have a friend in Victoria where they are currently in a stage 4 lockdown due to Covid. I have been messaging her and she has told me how things have changed for her family. She is an essential worker but her shifts have been cut to one a fortnight, and she needs to have a work permit. The rules are so strict there, masks must be worn in public and there is a curfew in place from 8pm-5am. Only one member of the house is allowed to grocery shop and they can exercise out of their home for one hour a day. She said at night the police patrol the suburbs and she has seen the army as well. It all seems so dystopian! Anyway she and her family are safe and well so I'm glad. 

I refuse to watch the news because it impacts my mental health for the worst. I do keep updated by reading the current news online. One article I read said there were no indicators that there would be any food supply issues, a few days later another article said to expect meat shortages due to abbatoirs in Victoria being closed! I didn't believe when it was stated about supply being as normal, of course the shutdowns will make an impact. I just keep being watchful and buy a few extra items when we go shopping to keep our supply going. I think that is all we can do, focus on the small things that will help our homes and families. It is scary to think of going to the shops and not being able to buy what we need. When there were shortages here in Western Australia it was awful. I had been using our stockpile and letting it run down. We still had a small supply but not enough for me to be worry free. I won't let that happen again.

Some ways I got ahead were I bought some extra toilet paper, dish liquid and pasta when I went to Aldi. I still mostly try to avoid the shops but there were things I needed that were out of stock online, even for click and collect. I was able to get some underwear for stocking fillers, swimming shorts for hubby for summer (these were sold out last year when he needed them) a birthday gift for a friend and a pair of sports shorts and protein powder for Mr 18's upcoming birthday. I also picked up a portable record player for Miss 21 for Christmas from Gumtree for $60, brand new they are $100-$150. Its a lovely little one in a retro style suitcase with built in speakers and i ordered her a rare record from eBay to go with it. That's her gift now all done and crossed off the list! 

I bought some lavender oil and rosehip oil which I will use for my face from eBay. These come in little pouches and are much cheaper than buying elsewhere. I just decant into my own little vials and they last ages. 
I also ordered myself for Christmas a couple of newly released Pop Vinyls that I collect. I didn't realise but I had accrued some points on the Popculcha website that allowed me to have $10 off :)

There was no bread or fruit and veg at the community centre this week so we drove up to the Food bank. There we are able to pay $5 and get bread, dairy, fruit and veg. We also got a free frozen pasta pack and some soap. I had told hubby about the Bluebird from Annabel's blog who had posted about her grandmother storing bars of soap in drawers under the clothes. Well he thought this was ingenious and he did this in our clothes drawers as well!

I had a baking day and made some lemon butter, a bread and butter pudding, banana bread, lemon slice, apple pies and a pot of root vegetable soup.

I started hand sewing a pin cushion to go in the sewing box for Mr 18's girlfriends Christmas gift. It shouldn't take long to make as long as I dedicate some time to it. 

On Friday night hubby and I went to our friends house for a couple of drinks. It's always good to see them! My friend gave me a bag of goodies to bring home. There were biscuits, tinned corn, low carb pasta and sugar free chocolate.

Yesterday our neighbour told us there was a new burrito store opening and they were giving some away for free. So guess what we had for lunch?! We took our food and ate it in the bush by a river before heading home and it was really lovely! 

I hope everyone is doing OK, considering their circumstances xx

No comments:

Post a Comment