Saturday 25 July 2020

Savings Sunday


This week I feel like more things were accomplished than last week and I remembered to take photos! I made myself a study schedule and have been sticking to that. I've had a couple of meetings with my lecturers and peers via Zoom, which took some getting used too but it was enjoyable to connect with others. I mostly stayed home this week, which I'm quite happy to do. Hubby gets itchy feet so I give him the shopping list and prescriptions and off he will go! 
He went to the Foodbank truck which visits our local community centre once a week. You can buy meat and fruit and veg packs there instead of travelling 20 minutes to the Foodbank. We are aiming to save time and petrol as well as work around my schedule and go to the Foodbank once a fortnight and the truck for a meat on the opposite week.

This week the truck was great! Sometimes they have freebies, this week it was the pantry box which inside had weetbix, rice, pasta, pasta sauce, canned items like tomato, soup, peaches, creamed rice, tuna, spaghetti and baked beans and muesli bars. Whats inside sometimes varies, once we got a box of coco pops instead of weetbix, that was exciting! There was also a free pasta pack which had 3 packs of fresh lasagne sheets, 2 packs of beef ravioli and 2 tubs of ready made sauce. 1 dozen eggs, 2 dozen easter eggs, a bottle of orange juice and some strawberry milk. Hubby bought a meat pack which had salmon, beef mince, sausages, steak, chicken and diced beef for $15! 

Hubby also got some free bread, rolls, choc-chip biscuits and sourdough which we had with soup, bananas and capsicums. So my mission was to find a recipe to use up these capsicums! I made stuffed capsicums for dinner- these were a hit and will be a regular if i have an excess. There was also enough of the turkey mince and rice filling to make a couple of small pies for lunch. I also froze 3 bags of diced capsicums. 

I got ahead by making some muffins in my pie maker. I made choc-chip banana, cranberry orange and savoury flavours. I had milk kefir to use so this went in the mix instead of milk. Even though we did eat quite a few when they were hot for afternoon tea, there was enough left for the weeks snacks.

We still have some of the butternut pumpkins from our garden, so I made a batch of pumpkin soup in the slow cooker. Mr 18 is home on break and will happily eat this. 

Thursday we had to go to Kmart to buy some comfortable shoes for Mr 14 to wear on his camping trip. We managed to find a nice pair with good soles which were $25, reduced to $15. 
On Friday Mr 14 left for a 6-day school "camping" trip, they call it a wilderness trek. There are no tents, they walk 10 km a day carrying all their belongings in a hiking pack and do various challenges to earn points. Attendance is compulsory for those who are going due to bad behaviour- my Mr 18 had to go twice when he was at this school! Then there's a couple of kids who have volunteered to go for fun, this Mr 14. It is winter here and quite cold, it will be a few degrees colder in the Jarrahdale bush! I said to hubby last night I wonder at what point our boy regrets putting his hand up and volunteering for trek? He has a sleeping bag, warm clothes etc but it doesn't sound like my idea of fun at all! 

Friday I also woke up feeling unwell. Headache, sore throat, body aches and exhaustion. I got up to say goodbye to Mr 14 and make sure he was all packed, I settled down to study and was feeling worse. I decided that wasn't going to happen and went back to bed. I slept on and off all day, sipping on chamomile tea to help my throat and slept through ladt night until 10 am this morning! My body must have needed the rest. Nobody else in the house has been sick so I'm wondering if I caught something out at the shops the day before? Dang my low immune system! Because I was sick I stayed home last night and missed out drinks with our friends. However, my lovely friend send hubby home with some goodies! a bag of oranges, sugar-free marshmallows, lollies and chocolate, tinned soup and some fluffy warm pyjamas. I am blessed to have such a thoughtful and generous friend! 

I rested a bit today as well, and am trying not to do too much and wear myself out. I'll make a quick frittata and vegetables for dinner and maybe watch a movie tonight. 
How was your week? 


No comments:

Post a Comment