Monday 20 July 2020

Savings Sunday

This week I started back at uni. This is all done online now due to COVID including exams. This works out fine for me because I allocate time to do my readings and activities and in my study breaks I put on a load of washing or get something done around the house. Today in my break, I ate lunch, packed away some groceries, hung the washing outside, paid some bills, put dinner in the slow cooker, got my prescriptions, mail to post and shopping list ready for tomorrow. 

I have a friend in Victoria and she told me masks are mandatory starting on Wednesday. They are in lockdown due to the amount of cases there. If you are in public and not wearing a mask one you risk a $200 fine. I am sending her a couple that I made when I run errands tomorrow.

Back to the uni stuff, I had to buy some text books for my course but was able to save some money by purchasing ebooks which are around half the price. My goodness, text books cost so much. No wonder students are broke!

Hubby and I did a small grocery shop at the Foodbank, they had mostly dry goods due to a fridge and freezer being broken. We bought soap and a $5 fruit/vegetable/dairy box which gave us enough fresh food for the next fortnight. They are also still giving away free pantry boxes, so more pasta, rice, tined spaghetti, beans and fruit was added to our supply.

A friend upgraded her fridge, so gave us her old one. This is bigger than the one we have in our kitchen! Our old one will go outside as a spare. Now we have a big fridge, this is really wonderful because there is 4-6 adults in the house. She also gave us a DVD player and a bag of oranges.

I had some apples to use up so I baked an tarte tatin. It didn't look like the picture in the recipe but it was tasty! I also stewed some apples and added frozen blueberries and made some pies in my pie maker. I joined a FB pie maker group which has loads of recipes and suggestions for food you can make. I also had wonton wrappers to use so these were used instead of pastry as quiche bases. Then I made some banana muffins in there as well! I turned leftover mash potato and vegetables into bubble and squeak patties, these were also cooked in the pie maker. I'll just keep experimenting for a bit if fun!


I bought a set of queen sized flannelette sheets on sale for $14, these were normally $30. I also had a $10 off code for Catch and ordered a carton of beer and bottle if vodka. This worked out to be cheaper than buying it at Dan Murphy's. 
I forgot to take photos this week, I'll aim for more next week! I hope everyone I'd doing well and staying safe x


No comments:

Post a Comment