Sunday 21 June 2020

Savings Sunday

Things in the world don't seem to be settling down much. There's new COVID cases in Victoria, while our premier here in Western Australia has declared our state "the saftest in Australia, if not the world." While I do think there has been a great effort in keeping the virus cases low here, I still feel on edge. It's a strange time. There was no toilet paper at Aldi this week which made me nervous. Things seem somewhat back to normal but really are not and it's unsettling for me and others Im sure. Especially with the riots going on in America. I just try to focus on the things I can do in my little world. 

This week has been a busy one, with some jobs getting done around the home everyday. I sorted out our food cupboards and actually pulled out every item and gave the shelves a good wipe down. This was also a good opportunity to throw out some long expired items!
We did some grocery shopping at the Foodbank midweek. There was lots of fruit, vegetables and dairy. 
I used up some ripe bananas and made some mini banana bread. On Thursday a friend received a food hamper from her church and dropped off what she couldn't use to us. This was a wonderful! There was fish, frozen vegetables, fresh ravioli, sour cream, bread rolls, tomatoes and fruit. Because we had just been shopping our fridge and freezers were full, so I gave some away to our neighbours. We have been really blessed with an abundance of food lately! 

I cooked up the tomatoes-there was about 3kg of them, and made a sauce. I also added some onion, garlic, herbs and tomato paste. This was used on the ravioli for dinner last night and can also be used as a base for spaghetti bolognaise, lasagna, enchiladas or I might add some lentils and carrots and it will be a nice soup! 
Another friend had given me some pink grapefruit and lemons so I made a marmalade. This is so yummy on bread! However, I should have cut the fruit up a bit smaller. 
I also cooked up some green apples and made an apple pie. The family said it looked like a store bought one! I only had puff pastry, so it is more like a big apple turnover but it was delicious with some cream. 


Our neighbours came over for dinner and we had a shared meal. I cooked up some silverside, mashed potato, peas, beans and roast carrots and they bought a roast chicken and fried carrots and potatoes which were yummy! Mr 18 is home from work and made a chocolate fudge pudding which is like a hot self-saucing dessert which we had with cream. Can you tell that I've got cream to use up?! 

I also made some mini quiches using some rolled out bread as shells. In them I put eggs, sour cream, herbs, leftover corn and cheese. These were mostly gobbled up by Mr 14 when he got home from school! 


Today I'm resting because I had an asthma attack last night. These always leave me feeling weak. I slept in until midday but when i woke the sun was shining, its winter so i couldnt miss an opportunity for washing even if I was feeling unwell! So I made a coffee, put on some washing, got gubby to put the clothes airers up by the pool to dry, chopped up some ginger to dry 
 for tea, and did the dishes. This was too much for me and the rest of the afternoon was spent in bed reading. Dinner is leftovers. Hope everyone is well and has had a good week xx

No comments:

Post a Comment