Monday 1 June 2020

My Frugal Tasks 31/05/20

There was a big storm which hit the west coast earlier this week. Thankfully our area was not affected, though many homes just 30 minutes from here lost power and were damaged. It has not gone unoticed to me how lucky we are and I am so grateful for our blessings in life. Mr 18 has flown back to Newman for work and the house is very quiet without him! The weather here has been cold and wet all week. Why is it that when the weather is cold all I want to snuggle up with a blanket, cup of tea and a book?! That has been my reward for the afternoons when my housework is done.

I've also had time to think about things I can do to improve my living areas, but do this cheaply. I would like a buffet to go in the dining room. We have an inherited liquor cabinet there currently, but it takes up alot of space and is a bit damaged. I've been looking on Gumtree for a secondhand one, thinking I could get one for $50 or maybe even free? I was surprised to see that solid wood ones go for $200-1000! Then I priced  new which are around $500-$1500 and that's for a flatpack! My budget is around $75, so for now I'll keep looking. I moved a picture and some ornaments around and put them in my hallway and am happy with how this looks. I also took down the light fitting and plan on finding a new one. Sometimes I think just moving things around is all you need to do for a refresh.


-Washed the clothes in the evening so they could dry in front of the heater.

 -Found a wine rack, a couple of hand towels and a vintage candle holder at an op-shop.

-Made some breadcrumbs using leftover bread.

-Picked up some free bread, fruit and vegetables from the community centre.

-Grated zucchinis for the freezer.

-Baked a banana cake to use up some bananas and leftover cream cheese icing.

-Cooked a pot of pumpkin soup to use up some of our homegrown butternut pumpkins.

-Cooked homemade veg pizzas for dinner.

-Went through my old TAFE schoolwork and shredded the stuff I no longer need. This was used to fill up our raised garden beds. Some notebooks still had blank paper in them so I can reuse these. Other paper which didn't contain personal or professional information, I cut up to use for shopping lists or note paper.

-Listed some items for free on Gumtree and sold a chair for $30.

-Baked a chocolate pudding using leftover 
bread rolls! I'll share the recipe shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment