Sunday 17 May 2020

My Frugal Tasks 17/5

The last couple of weeks have been fairly busy! With my 41st Birthday and Mother's Day in the same week. Both were celebrated at home with dinner made by hubby and the kids. Mr 18 is home from his FIFO job, so its been lovely to have everyone home and note muscles to help out in the garden! Things are mostly back to normal here with supermarkets having stock again. I haven't needed to go out and buy much because I've been using my stockpile. I hope everyone is doing well. 


-Baked an apple cake to use up some apples.

-Picked up some free salad bags, avocado's, tomatoes, green beans, snow peas, zucchinis, capsicum, ginger, hummus, yoghurt and bread from the community centre. I am so grateful for this, as it helps our family immensely! It is donated by Aldi as everything is close to the use-by-date and would normally end up in the bin.

-The 1kg of green beans needed to be used up fast so hubby and I blanched, flash froze and bagged them up for later use.

-I sorted the fridge and chopped some older capsicums for the freezer. We use this on vegetable pizzas and in cooking.

-Made a 1kg of brown sugar for the pantry.

-While the oven was on I cooked 3 zucchinis. This was bagged and frozen to use later in a vegetable lasagna.

-Peeled, finely sliced and dried out the ginger to use as a tea. Dried or fresh ginger with hot water is has many health benefits. The rest of my family refuse to call it "tea" and instead believe it should be "hot ginger water"!

-Made breadcrumbs from some stale bread.

-Cooked a batch of tomato sauce to use with pasta and on pizza.

-Made pizza for dinner with flatbread for bases.

-Went to Spotlight to buy some elastic for mending and found some Easter discounts. I got ribbon and bunny ear headbands for 10c each and a wreath for $1.

-A local op-shop has reopened and Mr 14 picked out an Angora jumper for $8, hubby bought a wooden puzzle and a board game for $5 and I found some ball mason jars for 50c each.

-Gave away some pumpkins to friends.













1 comment:

  1. I am waiting for op-shops to reopen here, Mel. We need a few Winter clothes that I really don't want to buy new.

    I chop and freeze capsicum and celery too. I add it to stews and soups. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete