Sunday 29 May 2016

My Frugal Tasks 28/05/16


Foraged olives and lavender.


My apologies for posting this a day late. I had trouble transferring my photos from my phone to the computer. This week we've all been feeling a bit "meh".  The weather has been quite cold and it has been raining a lot which is great for the vegetable garden. I've been doing more projects indoors. I have had a bad toothache and needed some dental work during the week which didn't fix the pain, which is caused by a wisdom tooth so I'm off to another dentist tomorrow for a second opinion.

I don't feel like I did much this week, just the regular stuff but it usually adds up to more than I thought when I write it all down.

-Went to a subsidized dental clinic for dental work instead of private, my out of pocket expenses were $62, this saved me $187.

-Hubby Mr 10 and I went for a walk at a local dam. Mr 10 is learning about rocks and minerals and we collected some to bring home. Hubby packed a thermos and some morning tea. It was great to get some fresh air after a weekend of raining and it was my son's first real exercise since his surgery and he did so well.

-We are due for a pool gate inspection and there were a few things in need of repair-new hinges on the gate and a brick pillar needed bracing. Hubby was able to do this himself and this saved us at least $100.

-I baked another carrot cake because we have bulk carrots. I also baked a lemon slice with the gifted lemons we got last week.

-Picked up more free bread from the op shop and also got some gorgeous hankies for 20c each.

-Cooked vegetarian pizzas using some homemade frozen dough for dinner on Friday. The teens were out so Mr 10 and I watched a movie on Netflix. I also found a bottle of lemon soft drink in the cupboard, left over from my birthday so we had some of that with our pizza.

-Started sewing some felt ornaments for my gift cupboard.

-Harvested more kale, silver beet and rocket from the garden.

-Went to the library and borrowed some books for Mr 10 who is a bookworm! He loves books by Andy Griffiths and these are $12.95 each to buy so its a big saving if we can borrow them from the library. I also got a few free books from the discard pile.

-While out and about we saw a sign that said "Free Olives" so we stopped and it was a property with half a dozen olive trees! We picked 1.5 kilos and they are now soaking in water on my kitchen bench. I've never preserved olives before so I'll keep you updated. We also passed some big lavender bushes and I got out and cut some flowers. I will bundle and dry these and use them to make lavender sachets-thanks for the idea Annabel!

-Bought some small preserve jars from Kmart. They were $5 for 6 and will be used for gifts.

-Mr 10 spent some time working on a looming project. We found a video on YouTube and that is the process he used, except for we made a cardboard box loom like the one used here rather than a flat cardboard one. Looming is a great activity for kids and super frugal!

-This week our meals were:

Beef and vegetable casserole with dumplings
Chilli cheese fries
Egg fried rice with mixed vegetables
Potato croquettes with carrots and corn
French onion soup with cheese toast
Creamy pasta bake with pumpkin and peas

Hope you had a lovely week. xx


Carrot cake has become a new favourite here.


View of the dam.


Homemade veg pizza.


Vintage handkerchiefs.


Homemade lemon slice.



Mr 10 looming.


No comments:

Post a Comment