Friday 23 May 2014

All You Need Is Less

When I embarked upon this frugal journey, it was out of necessity and desire. I wanted a more connected relationship with my husband and children, rather than hurried time when I got home from work. I wanted to appreciate and view money differently and I wanted us to have fun and value pleasure in the simple things. I can honestly say I have been blessed to have all these things happen and more. Money really does not buy happiness, it just makes it easier to pay the bills!




One of the first things I did was to sit down and write a budget. If you are not sure where to start, I wrote an article about it here: here Until that point I had been earning decent money by working outside the home and had been spending it pretty fast too. There were no savings in the bank for an emergency and this worried me. It was a hard thing to ultimately take control of my families finances and it seemed easier to live in the cycle of earning and spending. However, I knew with my decision to quit work and home school our income would drop significantly. The only way to get ahead would be to work out how much money would be coming in and to spend less and cut down any unessential expenses. Yes, however scary it seemed-a budget would be necessary.

Fast forward to the present day and the budget is still going strong. I also menu plan which by doing so, has cut our grocery bill right down. But that's a post for another time. Currently there are substantial savings in the bank. We are earning less but have more money than we have ever had before. How is that possible? The main thing that has changed is my mindset. I no longer go "window shopping" or spend money to relieve boredom. I only go shopping when it is absolutely necessary. I still make purchases but am now mindful of my spending. Stores are full of things you might want, but do not need. Companies know and thrive on this fact, that's how the rich get rich while the poor stay poor.

So let me just say this. You do not need to keep up with the Joneses, buying that knick knack will only clutter up your house. You are better than that, you deserve more from life and you can do it! Right now at this time, you have what you need, and that will always be enough.







No comments:

Post a Comment